Thursday, June 12, 2008

11 Junio

11 June 2008
So, I guess I will pick up where I left off. The second day of training began exactly like the previous, except after we first met, we were separated into our language groups. My placement along with many other people was a huge shock. All of us thought we were better than we were. This was however to be expected, I only had a minor and haven’t taken a class in 2 years. Still, my advice to future generations, don’t take a language unless you plan on pursuing it your whole life and becoming fluent. And, to become fluent you must live in a different country, with the language, for at least 6 months. It is a waste of money and time for people to receive a minor. This is my view only.
Okay so after language, we met with our business trainers, Denny and Alfredo. This was exciting, but again we always learn about what we are going to learn about. Entiendes? Yes, so it’s just understanding more and more about the system. We also did FODA which is basically SWOT in Spanish. And I felt really proud because they asked about Matrices and I knew about them and was asked to explain them. (Sometimes I just feel with all the talent and experience in the room, I am almost not worthy, however these little moments may seem like nothing for others, but ensures me that I am here for a reason) After the session, I received 5 books and 2 folders that I will eventually have to memorize…ridic.. So after class we all decided to go to a local bar to share a drink for Matt because it was his birthday. We were supposed to go to a near by town at Matt’s house for his party, but after I had dinner, I passed out for 2 hours. (Not from drinking, from exhaustion) When I woke up, my friends Alex and Sophie were here, waiting to leave, talking to my mom. We all had an intense discussion about the politics and Peru, many of you know it has been shaky in the past. And by the past, I mean 7 years ago. It’s just amazing the spirit of Peru although they’ve been through so much. Okay so back to the night, since I passed out, obviously I didn’t go and neither did the people in my town. I then went straight to bed. The next day, when I woke up, was the first day I felt like I wasn’t about to die from exhaustion. I finally had energy. This day each person had to go to the town of a person in their language group. Mine was in a town 5 minutes away in a combi (mini-bus).
The hill I had to walk up was absurd. No really, awful. I thought I was going to fall backwards at one point. And this may sound gross, but I sweat more than I thought one person could for simply walking up a hill. I have those pictures too, that I took at the top of the hill, once downloaded I will share with you! Class was good, I feel so smart because I know the answers. So, I think I got my wish to be in a lower class to build up my Spanish. However, I don’t think the people in my group like that the teacher always asks me and I answer all the time. Oh well. Then I ate my lunch; rice (always a staple in lunch), more rice, green beans, carrots, more rice, and carne. Not to sure what kind… After lunch I jumped on the combi to al centro. There I met up with all the other business volunteers and talked about the 3 objectivos of small business as well as the differences between formal and informal business structures. This would help us see the differences and capitalize on the benefits of being either or. Then since we were done early headed outside and taught everyone to play leapfrog…we did that for a bit. Also, I played a little futbol during break, yours truly scored 2 goals. (In your face Brenton) So after a nice game of leapfrog... my team won, we were given our next assignment, Mission Impossible, we have to go to a different town and find certain things (My group is about mercados) and answer questions about our specific tema. Then we have to formulate a business plan and the pair who comes up with the best idea gets a metal. I will let you know.
After this I headed to a nice internet cafĂ©. It was much nicer than in my pueblo, however this place was more expensive. (Therefore, mine’s better) After this I came home to do my homework with my mom and talk with her. Three of the guys in my town came to get me for futbol. (Tom, I decided I am a la U. fan) I played for about an hour and then came home for dinner….Brace yourself… spaghetti and meatballs. Que chevere?! But, wait for it….my meatball had a bone…and something that looked like it wasn’t supposed to be there as well. But it was delicious. Now I am sitting watching television, which is family time here. I need to film my house so you all can see how cozy it is. Okay well, I need to do a few other ejerciscios (Mom, I am strengthening my knees and no they have not been bothering me and no, I don’t know what type of meat that was and would rather not know)
Que mas….. nada
Buenas noches, Descansan bien.

1 comment:

dcaroma said...

it's probably llama --

The Lalli Llama