Monday, February 15, 2010

I forgot about Valentines Day

Yes it did happen.

This weekend was so jam-packed with events, carnaval, wedding and soccer team anniversaries that an already tamed commercialized holiday (in comparison to the states, of course), Dia de San Valentin, was completely forgotten by yours truly.Which I should add was amazing.  Not only does the american holiday make me feel insignificant but also is a constant reminder for 2 months (thanks halmark) that I am alone and do not currently have a boyfriend. Like I need a reminder thank you.

THURSDAY

Well the weekend started on Thursday when I went to get a mani/pedi with the novia (bride to be), Ines.  We went to a great salon it was 30 soles (10 dollars) for a mani/pedi complete with exfoliating scrubs and massages (grrrreat price) also makes me question not doing that before!

DSC04033

After a wonderful time at the salon we headed to get ceviche and some other piqueos at a local restuarant, La Habana.

DSC04036

After that excursion the day continued normally with classes in the afternoon followed by a restless night sleeping in the almost bearable heat.

FRIDAY

I didn’t mention this before but I was asked by the novia Ines to be a testiga (witness) for the civil ceremony.  In the states (as my mother informed me) you can use the church’s cert to pass for legal documentation, but here you have to get married 2x. Once in the muni and second (if you choose) the religious ceremony. So Friday morning at 10:30 I went to go attend and sign for the happy couple. In true peruvian fashion they ended up not starting the ceremony till 11:45. It was very nice, though if you ask Kerry, I was more excited than the bride. LOL I was so excited to be a testiga in someone’s ceremony. I mean they got married and I signed it CRAZY.

Pedro y Ines

DSC04038 DSC04044 DSC04045  DSC04046

Me signing!!!

DSC04049 

Me, los novios and the other testigo.DSC04052

Kerry, los novios and me!

So after this ceremony I went into Piura and bought the greatest shoes ever for the wedding on Saturday night. I wish I had a photo of them to show you. But honestly its so true when someone is getting married your dress doesn’t need to be better than the brides but damn if you can’t get the cooler shoes :).. plus I had my eye on these shoes for months and was waiting for a sale, alas there wasn’t one but at least I could justify the purchase !!

Friday was followed by English class 5-7, then kerry and I headed to the stadium at Catacaos for the dance competition for Carnavales. We went with my sister, Esther, Iris, Mario, Marisela, and Liche. Also this year we brought a digital camera, not like last year when I brought the disposable and not one foto came out. So not only do I have photos but videos too!! Aren’t you all lucky!! I am not only helping you get through the work day by taking time to read this blog but also helping you procrastinate longer by writing an extra long blog.

So back to carnaval dances. It is a competition amongst the 8 teams each team has a theme and they do a performance its like a town wide spirit day competition.

  IMG_3484 bleachers going crazyIMG_3489 Liche Kerry and Me!IMG_3486 Mari and Esther!

Below are some photos, most blurry but you can find more on FB videos will be put up if they aren’t already by the time you read this.

IMG_3506 IMG_3517 IMG_3539

Green team came in first, followed by the red and in 3rd, yellow.

SATURDAY

Okay so the weekend just continues with events.  Saturday morning I headed over to Narihaula to drop off the gifts that Karrie sent to her host family via my postal box than headed to give my gifts to Iris and her new baby boy (Jose Abel).  I am the godmother of this perfectly wonderful baby boy.  Usually they do the baptism when the baby is 3 yrs old or so. But since Jose has tumors in him kidney and needs an operation in Lima, they are thinking about doing the baptism sooner, will keep you posted.

DSC04054 DSC04056

HE is soooo little <3

After that wonderful pit stop I had to head into the city to return the wedding gift. Semi-long story here's the cliff notes.  Kerry and I decided to buy the same Juego (set) of dishes for the novios to start. Much like we buy Wedding China in the states.  There was a great deal in the Macy’s like department store for these awesome plates that they would have never been able to afford. So kerry bought a set of 4 and then I was thinking either Ill buy another one or buy the rice cooker (obvi in high demand considering you eat a lb of rice per person each day).  Finally I decided to go with another set of dishes.  So when I was in the city the following week (last Thursday to be exact) I ran to Saga (Peruvian Macy’s) and bought another set and I thought I bought the same juego, blue striped.  Saturday morning rolls around and Kerry and  I are about to wrap the gifts and she opens the box I bought and was like ummm wrong dishes.  And I go, noooo you have got to be kidding me! But sure enough, I bought the blue striped dishes and she and I had chosen previously the blue striped dishes with the accent green line. Yes, attention to detail important.  So I grabbed the receipt and went back to Piura to exchange the set.  Thank goodness there was another set there and we got it gift wrapped for free, similar to the nordstrom’s perk.  So then I get back to town and went home to clean my room (translation – procrastinated by watching episodes of “How I met your mother” – great show) And Then I got read put my hair in a wonderful up do and turned heads as I headed into a moto to Narihuala to film the wedding.  YUP. I was asked to film the wedding, bc I had my video camera. So I begrudgingly said yes, bc honestly i think “Not saying “NO” to a bride” is a universal rule.  I got great footage and have already complied the cd with the film and photos.  Here are some photos.DSC04064

DSC04072 DSC04092 Family of the novio-Pedro

DSC04089 Ines – novia

DSC04100 At the reception

DSC04144 Me and Gabriel (Nephew of Novio)

DSC04145  Novio, Me Cesi and Kerry

DSC04148 Novios!!!

 DSC04161 mad dance moves o’ mine.. no worries there is a video – check out those shoes of mine.  This type of behavior continued throughout the night till about 2 in the morning. At that time Kerry and I walked back to Kerrys, but in true Peruvian fashion the partied continued till about 4:30 in the morning.

SUNDAY

Sunday we woke up quite late at 10:30 and had to plan for the next big day of the weekend. Yes not even done yet. Can you imagine the exhaustion??

Today was carnaval games in Catacaos and also the wedding lunch at the novias house.  We went to pedregal to get ready and then headed to catacaos to drop off our stuff and to figure out what time we would be playing during the day.  Then we headed back to Narihuala for an hour or so to eat lunch and then headed back to catacaos to get in on the official parade and beginning ceremony of carnaval.  There are photos but on the disposable camera. which I hope this year they’ll come out.  (Also if you had by chance picke dup a copy of today’s Correo (newspaper) my friends alex and kerry are on the front page bc they rode on top of the truck)  We continued to play, eat and drink until about 9 pm.  I bought this SUPER AMAZING water gun.  It was the highlight of my day, I have no idea why i didn’t think of that fun last year.

Okay well I have to take another shower bc yesterday the two I took weren’t sufficient to get off all the house paint + clothing dye + shoe polish mixture that was lathered on my body… god help my sneakers and clothes.

Hope you enjoy this.. at least those that read this. :)

<3 chao,

EKH

No comments: