This is a photo of Ana Melva and Zulyza, the girls that Kerry and I brought from Narihaula and La Campina to the camp on their last day. They had such a wonderful time. This 4 day camp hosted speakers to present on important topics for the young women of Peru including, women’s health, sex-ed, Vocational Training, Higher education materials, the importance of volunteering in the communities, and also a panel of 5 highly successful peruvian women to answer questions about their struggles and successes along their career path. We held the camp at a retreat center about 49 minutes from where I live. For many of the girls this is their first night away from home or first time to leave their hometown. So it is a big honor for them to be asked and to participate. Though handling a 4 day camp with 30 teenage girls can present difficulties regardless if these girls were chosen for their leadership and responsibility traits. I won’t go into the petty issues that happened during the weekend because they would only tarnish the otherwise fantastic camp.
There is one important thing I should mention about the camp, it rained. Not only did it rain, but it POURED. For 30 hours straight there was no let up. On record, that was the most it rained in Bajo Piura (desert region) since I lived here and I know for one year previous (bc Karrie told me). Though you might think what is the big deal, the east coast has just been hammered with snow and storms, 30 hours of rain is nothing. Au contraire. Because this region rarely receives rain, it is ill-equipped to deal with the copious amount. Therefore when we exited the camp on sunday, not to my surprise but to many who live in the sierra (which receives rain quite frequently), the streets were rivers or mud pits. Cars were functioning at their half speed and cutting out ever couple blocks. When we arrived in Catacaos, I sent Zuly with Kerry and Ana because I take a different car stop to get to Pedregal. Puttering its way through water filled streets, the car made its way into Pedregal (+ a couple gallons of water on the floor). I arrived to find that the streets are up to my calves and my sister out with a push broom trying to get the water out into a hole that was dug on the side streets. So I rolled up my pants and begun to help. For the next 3 hours I spent pushing water out of the street into a mud hole. I guess they dealt with the hole later. haha
out front of my house
looking own my street
Afterwards I took a long nap. But I should mention that my room was… moist. Since the roof doesn’t attach directly to the walls (leaving gaps for rain water to enter) all the walls were wet and sicne they are triplay (a thin wood) the wood is now all water marked. Thank god I had my laptop covered in a dry bag my mom sent me from my jungle journey in November.
Since I woke up in my community sans electricity since the day before, I headed into the city to watch the Superbowl with some of the other volunteers who were in CB. It is now Wednesday and we just got power back in town about 1 hour ago, hence why I am writing my blog for you people right now! So next time your lights go out for a second or an hour during your favorite tv program remember that i have been living in a desert without electricity (no fan) since Sunday. I have full proof that I am not a witch since I have yet to melt in this god-awful weather.
Hope you all enjoyed this entry! Will write soon.
Also, on facebook is an album with lots more photos from ALMA. <3

No comments:
Post a Comment