Well I should start by saying it is 7:45 pm and I just finished dinner. Well, yeh dinner; papas secos. Basically since you can do anything with papas this is the one I heard about and more or less was baffled by and even more so now since I have learned the taste and more importantly the smell… what happens is they dry the potato in a very long process then sell it dry and then the people cook the potatoes… I had this with some rice… and a lot of aji (which gets me thru anything I don’t like just to say I do like it) because with enough aji any taste can be indistinguishable. Though that smell… it didn’t remind me of anything really pleasant… so that was interesting…let me get back to my re-cap though…
Monday, my family and I went to Chosica to eat some lunch. Combi fares were up because of the holiday and whole 50 centimos to be a Sole… grr We had a real feast in Chosica all platos tipicos del Peru like chaufa con mariscos, sopa de pescada, ceviche porsupesto!... and because we didn’t eat enough finished up all the food in Chosica with amazing tortas de chocolate, lucuma, y frescas… basically a strawberry shortcake (jealous dad?) After a walk around the park for a bit we headed home at about 4:30ish and I passed out for a nice, long nap. When I woke up, I was informed I was heading to a birthday party at a local discoteca with my sister and her brother… I really didn’t want to go because we had school the next day and plus I really don’t have any outfits for going-out nor my straightener… but I went and it was fun hearing all the Criollo music and seeing them dance, dances I have yet to master but give me 2 years… just you wait…I knew it was my cue to leave for the night when I heard the intro to MIB by none other than Big Willie (Smith)…yes grant your main man…so I headed back to my warm bed and wonderful pillow ;)
Tuesday we heading into the center at about 9:30 but classes really didn’t start till about 10…gotta love the holiday mood everyone was still feeling. We basically recapped the ferria we went to and what the volunteers were doing there with their groups and also about starting youth projects in our communities. Then what was really interesting was in our language class we watched “Estado de Miedo” which is a very informative movie about the 20 years period of Shining Path, a dark and scary period for Peru, due to terrorism… I rather not talk about it on my blog…opinions and such… so feel free to google that yourself or for want of a better visual, seek out the movie!!
After sessions the mood was easily flipped by giving a “christening” to our new techo in the courtyard that two of our workers put up… pretty sweet… then the facilitators invited us to celebrate Fiestas Patrias with them…they taught us some bailes tipicas and then ate a monton de piccarones… another one of my favorite desserts of Peru… it is a donut made from camotes (sweet potatoes) then drizzled in honey… I will learn how to make this and bring back to the states because I could make a killing selling these… or besos de mozas or for that matter alfajores…yum…
So today was basically learn about key words we might need to know for the policia and the law…then we took a field trip to the local police station to ask our questions and to learn how to fill out a Peruvian crime report. Somethings to remember about my experience: 1. If you don’t report in the same day chances are they won’t do much…same thing if you didn’t witness the person… for this purpose the denuncia is more for our benefit (American insurance replacements) 2. Police can drink in uniform and with fire arms…though after I asked about this I was told that congress is trying to change this..however their congress is slow…I told him that’s not only in Peru J
After lunch we had a great session on Peruvian history...which I loved! And then we had a medsession on disease followed by a playing of the ends of the COS videos done by Peru’s group 4/5/6/7 which was another reassurance/affirmation that PC could possibly be the best decision of my life with out a doubt. Two more days till we know our site!!
TKMxoxo
Elizabeth <33
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment