Thursday, July 24, 2008

24 Julio 2008

So this week has been amazing!! I´m having such a wonderful time here, better than I could have expected!! Especially this week!! I have two projects on Friday that I´m actually researching for one right now and thought I´d take a little time to tell you about my week! Well besides getting emails from all of my best friends coincedentally this week annnd getting a great package with peanut butter inside... I got to watch Hairspray... which let me tell you is one great pick-me-up movie!! Also, today we went into Miraflores, Lima to go to the artisinians fair. We got to see 4 other volunteers´groups work and some of the volunteers were there!! Also, I got a bit of the inside info from some of the ladies there that there are 2 sites for girl volunteers one in piura and one in lambayeque... but it could be chisme (the word for gossip here) there is a mountain of that going around at any one time
Also today we had a presentation done by a Peru 4 volunteer who finishing up his third yr of law school is coming back to start a for profit type NGO to create a sustainable Peru based company... it´s really difficult for me to explain in this short amount of time, but it was very interesting how he came up with the idea and how it is working in Peru currently...
What else ohh I sent out a bunch of postcards sooo be looking for them and also a few letters... mails getting a bit hefty down here i just dropped a cool 80 soles on you peeps!
And for those of you who are unaware, Monday the 28th is Peru´s independencia day! So there are parades like crazy everyday and starting tomorrow all the schools go on a 2 week vaca... pretty sweet... basically everything shuts down because many people use this time to travel to see family. Interesting fact of the day: the german´s came before WWI and taught the German military march to the Peru army... so in all their parades for their national independence all the school kids are walking down the main carreterras in a German type march/salute... it´s a bit awkward if anything but hey who am I to look at this as something weird.. i mean with this method they march really straight
Oh on my way home from Lima today with a couple of the people we were on combis and fyi it´s relaly hard to find a seat on the way home and that means standing for an hour or more... so when people stand it´s a race to the seat and as americans we decided to take our sports knowledge to use to our advantage and ¨box out¨ the others on the bus... so picture this... when someone would get up from their seat we would yell ¨box out, box out¨and crowd the seat to take it... it was pretty hysterical prob worth a video of it but i was laughing so hard every time... okay i need to do my project!! I miss you all
xoxo
ekh
...yes i know bad spelling and grammar once again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lizzy Kate:

Box out, box out made us laugh. Mom and I started laughing about you on the soccer field when you were six, " Excuse me, Excuse me."

Love ya little girl,

Papa Dukes