Monday, March 29, 2010

Palm Sunday

This past week has def been a satisfyingly productive one. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I was planning on doing a career workshop in the high school with another volunteer, Glenn.  He ended up coming down on Monday and we finalized our plans for the course for that week.  Our first class, Tuesday @ 7:45 AM (eek) we did the super fun career test that gives you a certain number and that number corresponds to jobs in a certain field or interest.  The second part of the lesson is explaining the importance of short term and long term goals. Then they had to create a list of 3 different short term goals and also had to do a worksheet about their life written by their future selves in 10 years.  DSC04411

Wednesday we went over Monthly budgets and How to create and achieve professional goals. First, I had them write down all the costs the might have for a month and none of the students had less then 1000 monthly budgets (mind you – the minimum wage is 550 a month) yeh. So there is nothing like a monetary reality check to get the wheels turning.  Then after we discussed the costs of life, me – being ever so discreet – mentioned to them how much more difficult it would be to have a child to take care of. Hopefully I scared 1 or 2 more away from that path.  Then, speaking about careers the first day and the cost of living the second, we made plans for a certain career, touching on what they can do now in high school to get started up and until they are working in that certain field.  Sure, it was a bit overwhelming for them, but some of them were so into it! IMG_0463

(I love the intensity of my face in this foto. Prob during one of my motivational speeches – I did a few.lol PS JAN- That’s my new bday shirt I got on!)

Thursday was the last day and our friend Ryan ended up coming to my site to help out with the last two sessions. The last day we went over what are Resumes, why are they important, and how to write one. I ended up printing out the 3 different templates offered in Word making copies and having each of the students choose one of the designs to work off of.  I think it went well, this concept is always the hardest to explain to the kids, resumes are just not something they ever had heard of nor come across. ever.

The second session, we talked about obstacles or more common, excuses, for people from the campo for not working, pursuing higher education – basically getting out. One might think – Why WOULDN’T they WANT to get OUT… its just a cycle and comfort zone. So we handed out one situation per group (10 groups) had them come up with two ways to overcome the obstacle and then present it to the class. Topics included –

-Your family doesn’t have the money.

-Your parents won’t let you study or work because they want you to work in the farm

-Your parents work so you have to take care of your siblings.

-You get pregnant, but you still want to study.

-Your parents won’t let you study because they say that the woman’s place is in the house.

-Your in-laws (yes really) won’t let you work or study because they want help cleaning the house

Those are a few. Then we did my favorite part, evaluations, asking the basics (what was your favorite, what part didn’t you like, what would you recommend) then the best question – Could you understand us? lol . Everyone says yes, but we still like to check. :)DSC04415

The responses were so uplifting. I mean it was a class of 55 17 yr olds. Intense is an understatement. So, for about 60% to say that they really got something out of it and it made them think of their future is great. A few of them even mentioned that now they know tho there are obstacles, they can overcome them. Which is awesome. 

DSC04412

Changed lives – CHECK.

Friday I did nothing because I got deathly sick from the chaufa my sister cooked on Thursday or the apple juice my mom made for the first time ever or the ice cubes we have now. Yes revelation, my house now has ice trays we fill. Who knows. So that brings my tally to about 8 times being sick with vomiting and etc. Which is in the EXTREMELY low percentile. Go me!

Saturday I had a meeting at 10 with the 4 associations to go over solicitudes I wrote on Monday asking the mayor to put signs on the highway (using that word loosely) below the signs for the towns that there are workshops and artisan shops in those towns. Common sense in the states almost every town sign has “FAMOUS HOME OF…” one b.s. thing or another. So figured why not here. We’ll see if they okay it. There in transition of government, so I’m pretty sure it’ll just get lost but who knows. 

Then we continued placing minimum prices on all the products of woven straw.  A now attainable feat, we have about 100 more products to go and then officially all association will be using fair prices and will not allow people to barter below it. And yes I understand that part of the visit to the 3rd world is the ability to say no not 10 soles, 5. But honestly stop that shit. Half the time they aren’t lying which means they are loosing a shit load of money but have to sell it in order to put food on the table. Greedy Americans. So now we have a system where if the fair trade price is 10 they start the price at 12 and then drop it to 10. “If you can’t beat them – join them.” And also I explained that they HAVE to EXPLAIN to tourists and clients about the price breakdown. Like Iris, my coutnerpart does, she explains sole per sole the price of a product and after, the client is usually happy to except the extremely low price were offering. And honestly the worst are the Germans – they always want 40 sole sombreros for 10 soles. are they on crack and better yet they have the f-ing EURO. Punch.them.in.the.face. oh well…

DSC04392

Help fair trade practices with women entrepreneurs – CHECK.

Saturday night we headed to the plaza de armas of Piura to sell Rifas (Raffle tix) which no one bought though we were (I was) selling our (my) hearts out. Lol but at least now I know that people don’t buy raffles in the plaza for future knowledge.DSC04423

Sunday I headed to the plaza in Catacaos to sell more we sold a few more and then held the raffle – I won! haha. Well actually Josie,Iris little girl, won with the tix I bought her but she gave it to me, because she obvi has enough lol.  Then  I came home and my sister ordered a case of the new wheat beer (special edition) As close to blue moon as I’m getting for a few months – so awesome. SO I drank one of those napped then made rice pudding and now I’m writing a blog.

How you like that play by play.

Wednesday Arequipa!!!

Also for those interested I got by grade for my second session of the TEFL/TESL class I’m taking online = 19! woo hoo thats like a 95 for those that don’t understand how the world grades out of 20 except our country.

Chao xoxo

Elizabeth

No comments: