Friday, May 14, 2010

COS the end at last

Well, after Peru Moda, I took my last vacation days to relax in Lima before my COS conference the following week. May 6 & 7 my group, Peru 11, went to a conference center outside of Lima for our COS(Close of Service) workshop. 

Group 11

There we learned of our benefits as RPCVs in the states as well as the best ways to say goodbye to people at site and how to keep in touch. There was a lot of good advice to be given and I think everyone walked away a bit more prepared for our “readjustment” to the States.

I honestly can’t believe that in less than 3 months I will be back home. This whole experience has impacted me more than I can ever explain.  Being in the Peace Corps allows you to re-evaluate yourself, your actions, and your friendships.  It makes you realize who is important and most importantly what is important. I now realize that going out on Friday night and claiming that I’m broke is pathetic. Don’t go out, stay home, save 30 dollars.  Budgeting was key here and I do admit my parents helped me out more times that I can count, but being poor is something I never want to experience again. Being in that positioning makes you realize the hard work that our parents and grandparents put into their jobs in order for us to be the spoiled, complaining, pampered generation that we are. And I am not exempt from that, I am just stating that it is what we are. We are the “entitled” generation and that feeling of entitlement has become a trait I loathe.  And not because of introspection but rather being the person on the other end working with an entitled individual. Working here in Peru where for generations NGOs have been in place, giving and working – the people have a justified sense of entitlement and for them to see the need to work harder, take risks and be motivated – is  very hard.

In the future I hope I am not just another entitled 20 something walking around expecting a 6 figure salary.  I hope I always remember working with such people and wanting to strangle myself! lol. I want to leave here and always remember the hardships and the struggles physically – through injuries and minor sicknesses – emotionally – being alone, lonely, and most frequently scared and not having my mom or family close – mentally – challenging myself everyday to get up and go to work, create new projects and strive to determine the innovative method to make something work. But more than anything I can preach or say, I hope I never forget the people. These people have changed my life and I am better for it.  They have taught me that money isn’t what makes the difference but how you treat someone is, how you spend your savings on a one day party is worth it, live for the day, because tomorrow you might not be here. How the united states has an abundance of resources and everyone takes it for granted. The fact that I am not scared when I go to a doctor in the states – that makes a hell of a difference. The fact that if I get robbed, I can call the police and not fear that they are just as or more corrupt than the man who just robbed me.  The fact that I have rights and freedom of speech. And as for being a woman – equality – so many times in this machista society I wanted to shout out loud “I AM COLLEGE EDUCATED WOMAN AND TRUST ME, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SIR SO STOP TELLING ME I AM JUST A LITTLE GIRL AND I KNOW NOTHING!” Can you imagine. My parents have taught me though I am a girl I can play as hard and as well as any boy.  I am lucky to be from the US where woman are starting to become a man’s equal, not still fighting to be their quarter.

So thank you Peru for all your lovely scenery, generosity, and carinoso, I will be back soon.

COS Alf

Me and Alfredo – My boss.

COS Bailey and me

Me and Bailey (PCVC)

COS Piura

The Piura Crew <3 Glenn, Me Vince, Erin, Marian, Alex

Piura Business! Piura Business 11or Pure Business haha get it?

COS pachamanca

Pachamanca!!! This is the food they cook in the ground!

Peru 11 Business

Peru Small Business Group 11

IMG_6692

My ladies –Sophie Shannon and Me

COS pin our pins

COS presenting 2 me presenting the factors of success for my service:

1. coffee

2. cell phone

3. motivation and perseverance

4. Family – Naqui and Marilda

5. Invitar-ing (Always asking for advice and company to get the best result)

6. Gilmore Girls – that series is the bomb DOT com :) 

DSC09003 (Medium)

We got heart <3  PERU 11!!!!!

No comments: