Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010 here we go again...

First off, Happy New Year!! I hope everyone had a wonderful time ringing in 2010. I quite enjoyed a quiet new years at my house in Piura with my host mom Naqui (Angelica) and we ate some roasted chicken and french fries then at about 11:30 we woke up to watch the clock turn midnight then I went to bed and got a wonderful phone call from my parents who were celebrating down the shore with my aunt diane and uncle al.

Since New Years I’ve been working hard with my site mate, Kerry, in order to set up our next courses that start this monday. We have Basic Computers 2x a week (but if we have more inscriptions for the course than computers we´ll incorporate a 2nd class during the week) and on Tuesday we start beginners English business course. This is what I’m most nervous about and not because I’ve never taught English but because I don’t know what the success or the completion rate will be for those who want to learn. It is very hard to learn a language and sometimes ppl don’t understand that you need more time those 6 weeks to learn. Its daily practice and study. I fear that they will have high expectations and will be let down.

On top of the courses, I’ve been preparing nutrition taller for my community to go over the basic food groups and to explain balanced meals. Just today is an example I had fish, beans and rice. This is a normal ¨balanced¨ plate for people in my community. They are unaware that beans are not a veggie so therefore the taller! I don’t know when I will start the taller prob in the next week just a 3 day mini taller. And I’m hoping with the interest in the taller I can get some interest from the community in doing cocinas mejoradas. This is basically building a safer and healthier stove for cooking in the house that emits less smoke inside, damaging the lungs of the family.

Okay well I have to get back to site I feel like I am about to have heat stroke in the internet cabina!

Chao xoxo
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lizzy Kate:

It is great to see that you are keeping up with your blog. It will help preserve the memory of the great works and service you have provided in Peru.

We are proud of you.

PS:
Did I fail to mention that you look beautiful today!!

Love Ya,

Papa Dukes

Unknown said...

Loved reading your blog. I know so many people have enjoyed keeping up with you and what you are doing in Peru. Someday, you will look back on this communication and be so grateful you did it.
Try to keep it up a bit more, please. I love you. Mom