September 15, 2009
End of August Recap…
Finished up with the PROMOPERU 5S’s competition though the women were supposed to come to judge each of the 5 different associations participating the 28th of August, it is now the 15th of September and they still have not come nor called. So who knows what exactly is happening with that…
I got back from my one year med checks in Lima on Sunday. I got the Flu shot and also had to do a stool sample. Surprisingly, it was my first in country, which is EXTREMELY uncommon for a volunteer, so I’m lucky. It came back negative which means I am living without any strange and tiny friends inside my intestines. Gross but true. I also went to the dentist for a check up and he said I had perfect teeth. Honestly he told me that I have wonderful teeth and I take care of the beautifully then he proceeded to tell me that the doctor who did my root canal was an artist and ask who did it. It was a bit unusual but I told him he could always contact Dr. Mario Gebia in Haddonfield NJ if he wanted some advice! That was unusual.
While in Lima, I also had an IST on Promotional Materials. This was a 3 day workshop that each business volunteer from group 11 attended with their community partner. It was nice to go because we went over everything that I just did for a year with my artisan, so while most would think it was a waste of time, it was actually extremely beneficial because it showed my artisan that I do know what I’m talking about and that I’m an amazing volunteer having done all of this with her as compared to everyone else who hadn’t. (It also didn’t hurt my self-esteem) haha Topics that we covered were how to create a email account, blog, picasa photo account, promotional CD, business card and labels. The only thing that I hadn’t done yet, which I am working on, is the Association’s logo. Well, to be truthful, I’m not working on it as much as my mom’s magazine designer Thanks Toby!
Today was the second day of my computer classes. I started yesterday with the weavers from each association and today I was with the jewelers teaching basic computation. Tomorrow starts my new addition to the classes, the intermediate course. When I put this up it’ll be right before I start my class! (Fingers crossed!) The intermediate course is with all the artisans who participated previously and have completed the basic level course. The turnout wasn’t as high as I had hoped but this is quite common. I predict that by the start of next week we’ll be filled, as word gets out about free computer classes, more people make the effort to come.
The best part about computer classes is that I get to see an immediate result. I teach them how to move a mouse in the first hour of class and then by the end of class they can move a mouse and click, double click, and drag! It’s so fulfilling. (Okay, I hear you all giggling to yourself, but honestly it’s the little things as a volunteer that keeps us going, through all the failures!!)
Other than these couple things, I’m not doing too much, I think I’m going to join a gym in piura but haven’t decided, I just really need to start exercising more as a way to release some steam and tension. Though, today washing some of my delicates by head helped too! Lol. Though I think I was just overwhelmed in August because I wasn’t busy therefore had wayyy too much time on my hands, where as for the next two months I’ll be busy with my daily computer class and starting up a business English class as well as replicating the aids workshop in the surrounding communities.
Right now I have to go because I have to actually prepare the first class for my intermediate group! Yes, procrastinating, not my fault, I blame Lima!
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment