Friday, August 15, 2008

Rest of my week!


´ello puppet one of my perritos

the other ... i sweart i never liked dogs before but these are so well behaved its hard not to


This is the view if you walk outside my bedroom door and look to the right


this is the view looking to the left



this is 1 of the multiple shrines in my house ... hello our lady of Carmen

the view looking down that door against the back wall is the kitchen and the door to the left is to my dining room/tv room/tienda



just another town shot... its weird bc being there this looses its beauty but seeing these pics reminds me how lucky i am to be surrounded by this... makes bucket baths not so bad

if you call me or I call you... heres my phone and seat ... just so you had the visual!! Also, this is the community phone too so I get to see my whole community when they want to call someone and hear their convo... lucky for me the phone is in my house


Wednesday woke up at 6:30 had an amazing breakfast of fresh fruit salad with honey on top... I know rough life right!?! After breakfast I had meetings from 8-12 with artisans. Well mostly it was talking to my counterpart Martha in her house and seeing their products and how to make their product... which I´m totally learning how to do that!! In the morning at about 9ish a NGO from lima called and wanted 600 sombreritos by Thurs to ship to the states!! Can you image what I felt!! I was like omg here is my test, my trying moment... When I tried to help her at first make this order a possibility to fill, I realized I could help her that much. It then occured to me that I shouldn’t comment or give suggestions to people/cultures/ways of working until I can at least understand/grasp a piece of it. SO I just sat back and watched her run aroudn trying to find a way using her methods, needless to say the group was not able to complete the order and called later in the afternoon to say they would not be able to fill the order. In the beginnning I def had major anxiety and I did feel that dennis my tech trainer was playing a cruel cruel joke on me to test me. Happening that first day helped me a lot with getting an understanding of where the group was and where they need to go and be. I went back home to have a great lunch of chicken rice and steamed veggies then returned in the afternoon to meet other women in the association as well as my socio communitario’s twin daughters. They were really nice and so excited to talk to me but when they were talking, would finish each other’s sentences so its really hard to understand and most of the time i was nodding my head say Si Si!.. At the end of the day I was so exhausted from meeting people and my mind was exhausted of thinking in Spanish. However, I talked a bit to my host fam has some dinner and tea then heading to bed! Also, during the whole day I felt like MArtha just kept mentioning liek ohh yeh you cna help my daughters go to the US and show them around when you leave! or like ohhh you have 3 brothers so naturally my daughters will be marrying them lol... I was just like ummm I don´t think they would liek their wife not speaking the same langauge as them!!! Also this is the same woman who said her goal for Sept was to begin exportation directly to the US via my connections... I dont know who she knows that I dont!! lol bc i def dont have any exportation connections and plus she doesnt have an accounting book yet ... we got some work to do before that!



Thursday was the same morning with my excellent breakfast of fruit salad topped with some honey and a huge mug of coffee!! That day I met with the municipality. I not only sat with the mayor but the regidores which are basically the people in charge of various things throughout the whole town. (Culture, youth, business, environent) We got a lot done and I felt liek it was really successful as far as planning realistic and sustainable projects. There is really some great potential for Pedregal and with their motivation I´m sure so much we can accomplish.


...okay im actually really tired right now and don´t feel like finishing because I have an interview tomorrow for y final spanish level before I head to site!! So say a prayer and wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lizzy Kate:

greetings from TI. Read your update. You made a wise decision to let them proceed and observe. This will help you to understand how they approach a project then offer an objective opinion on how to make it more efficient.

Good job, Hutchie!

Love the pictures of your neighborhood! Did you see Mr Roberts?